Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Weekend, Early but Late: Part 1

Father's Day 2010 was celebrated early for us, but I am blogging about it a little late. Ed found out he was going to be gone on a business trip over the actual Father's Day and then my own father called to say he would be in town the week prior as well.

Nico and I had a great visit with Pops. Him and I had a little father-daughter time and went to the Rangers vs Mariners baseball game and had a great time watching the Rangers get one hit after another.

And then there was the old lady with the drum at the game! I have to blog about this lady because she was great. A few weeks prior, Ed and I had gone to a Cubs and Rangers game. We had great seats, near home plate and there was a woman probably close to or already in her eighties, who would frequently stand up and bang on a drum. Well, she must have season tickets, because she there again, banging away on her drum. This lady sure had team spirit!


The next day Pops and I took Nico down to the Historic Stockyards, primairly because we couldn't think of anything else to do. We were trying to avoid being outside due to the extreme heat, but ended up outside anyway. I never really think about going down to the Stockyards since it is so close to the house, but it turned out to be a great idea. We had perfect timing in when we arrived, because just as we walked up to main tourist area, we heard a cattle call. Twice a day there is a cattle run, in which the longhorns are taken from one stall to another, and by doing so come down the street in order to amuse the tourists.

Nico had the opportunity to see real horses and "cows," as opposed to ones he usually sees in his books. So this was a really great learning experience for him. Nico got very excited and just kept pointing to the cattle as them came down the street during the cattle run. I just love watching him light up when realizes or learns something new.

While Nico enjoyed seeing the animals, he wanted nothing to do with them up close. Even when I showed him how we could pet the horse, Nico clung to me with a death grip. He was, however, much more tolerable being close to the horses over the "cow," and especially got mad at me when I put him on the "cow."



Here are a few other pictures from around the Stockyards as we walked around letting Nico take in all the sights.


No comments:

Post a Comment