Friday, June 1, 2012

A Bunch of Sickies

Boy, we have been some real sickies around our house lately. Last Sunday evening Ed noticed Nico's eye was looking a little odd. It was swollen a bit and seemed to be slightly gooey. We both knew what this meant! So Monday morning instead of heading off to work and school, Natalee, Nico and I headed out to the Minute Clinic at CVS, which is super convenient for us, and Ed flew out to D.C. It turned out that on top of pink eye, Nico also has a "very bad" sinus infection. I was quite surprised since any signs of a cold appeared just that morning. So we walked out of the clinic with some eye drops and antibiotics.

Just the next day when I picked up the kids from school, I was informed that Natalee's eye was now oozing mucus! Great...so I had to figure out a plan. Since Ed was still out of town, I either had to get Natalee into a after hours clinic in order to start her antibiotics that evening or wait to take her to the pediatrician's office the next day. The trick was that in order for her to return to school, she had to have been on antibiotics for 24 hours. After running ALL over town and attempting to go to 3 and almost 4 clinics (even after calling), I succeeded to taking Natalee in the next day to the pediatrician's office. Thankfully, I did have the bright idea to begin giving Natalee the eye drops Nico had just been prescribed just the day before in order to begin the 24 hour clock.

This is not a very good picture and please excuse the dribble of spit up, but it is good indication of the pink eye

After working through our pink eye episode, which surprisingly I did not get, I woke up last Friday morning without a voice! Within just a few hours the laryngitis turned into a nasty upper respiratory infection. Sadly, Natalee immediately caught what I had and she came starting coughing terribly on Saturday. Both of us have been pretty pathetic this past week. Luckily I am able to load on meds to get me through the day, but there is very little I can do for Natalee. She is sleeping at an incline, I am using Vick's Vapor rub on her chest, using the Vick's Vaporizer, and suctioning her nose when needed. Today, being one week from when this lingering virus hit us both Natalee and I took trips to our doctors. While we were at the pediatrician's office, They decided to give Natalee a breathing treatment to determine if it would help with her cough. Unfortunately, this was not the case, so we did not have to bring home a nebulizer, but we did get sent over to Cook Children's to have a Pertussis test done. Of course since it is Friday we will not have any results until Monday or Tuesday! After Natalee's appointment, I dragged myself back the the CVS Minute Clinic where I found out that I actually have Bronchitis and the start of an ear infection! This explains why I feel like death!

Here is Natalee getting her breathing treatment. Poor sick baby girl.

I am so grateful Nico has stayed healthy with the exception of the pink eye. He has avoided this horrible URI Natalee and I came down with (knock on wood). Although, URIs are a virus and not bacterial, I really think that Nico having been on the oral antibiotic for the last 10 days has helped keep the illness at bay for him. Although, not sick, he did have to go to the doctor this week...the tooth doctor! He had his 6 month dentist appointment this week where he actually had a fully cleaning with plague removal, polishing, x-rays, and all! He did a great job and was such a bog boy about it all.

And to the end week and the school year in a fun way, Nico's class had pajama day! Now time for a fun summer!

Here is Nico in his PJ's playing at the park after school.



No comments:

Post a Comment