Saturday, June 9, 2012

Decisions, decisions

To me, usually the beginning of summer symbolizes the end of an era. This makes sense since I work for a school system, so the start of summer mean the end of another school year to me. However this year, summer is the start of something different, something new. Next week, just like last year, Nico will begin going to school two days a week since I won't be working. Although summer time at Primrose is considered "summer camp" and not focused on the academic preschool curriculum, I do not want to take him out of school completely because the social interaction and following the classroom routine is so important at this age. The fun news is that when August rolls around and it is time for school to start up again, Nico will continue just 2 days a week! We have decided that it is best for our family that I stay home part time next school year. I did this the first full school year after Nico was born and it was the best decision. I loved having the best of both worlds. I get to stay me, keep my job and stay in the game, while at the same time, I am allowed to spend more quality time with my kiddos and focus on being a mommy.

One of the major concerns for me in making this decision was taking Nico away from his school environment for so much time every week, thus not giving him as much of an opportunity learn and grow. He is so smart and I want him to continue to be challenged. So in order to counter this concern, I have decided that once school starts back up, three days during the week I will be homeschooling Nico.  I am excited and nervous about this prospect. I think there is a fine line between being a mommy and a teacher. I know how to do both, am both, but not at the same time to the same children. I have the phonics/language arts and the math curriculums we are going to used picked out, have a scheduled ready, and am slowly putting together a pile of supplies I know we will need. As the time comes, I am sure I will end up blogging about some of our homeschool ups and downs, so stay tuned.

I thought I would post some cute recent pictures of my littles, both of whom seem to be growing like weeds!




No comments:

Post a Comment